Cricket

Johnson ruled out of SCG Test

2015-01-04 08:55
Mitchell Johnson (Gallo Images)

Sydney - Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson has been ruled out of the fourth and final Test against India with hamstring soreness, Cricket Australia said on Sunday.

Johnson, 33, who bowled long spells during the first three Tests against India, had some right hamstring soreness during the Boxing Day Test and had not fully recovered since then, CA physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.

"As such, he will not play in the upcoming Sydney Test match. We expect him to recover in time to play a part in the upcoming Tri Series against England and India," Kountouris said.

Coach Darren Lehmann said he did not want to take any risks with Johnson as he was a key part of Australia's summer season.

"We want him 100 percent right so won't be taking any risks with him," Lehmann said.

"We believe it is best for Mitchell to take this opportunity to freshen up and get his body fully fit ahead of the Tri Series."

Johnson missed a training session with the rest of the team in Sydney on Saturday, media reports said, adding that he had stayed instead at their hotel for treatment.

Australia's squad includes fellow left-armer Mitchell Starc and Peter Siddle as potential back-up pace bowlers -- along with Ryan Harris and Josh Hazlewood.

Australia regained the Border-Gavaskar Trophy on Tuesday after India hung on for a tense draw in the third Test in Melbourne. Australia won the first two Tests in Adelaide and Brisbane.

Read more on:    australia  |  mitchell johnson  |  cricket

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

The 12-month ban handed down to Steve Smith and David Warner and the 9-month sanction for Cameron Bancroft for their ball-tampering roles, is ...

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.