Cricket

Hopes up for WI tour of SA

2014-11-03 14:32
Haroon Lorgat (Getty Images)

Cape Town – The tottering West Indies summer tour of South Africa appears to have received a welcome shot in the arm at the weekend.

Reports from the Caribbean suggest a meeting aimed at solving the contracts dispute which saw West Indies sensationally abandon their one-day international tour of India in mid-roster, had a “positive” outcome although any official confirmation was still awaited.

The Kingston-based Jamaica Gleaner newspaper (http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20141103/sports/sports1.html) said on Monday that feuding factions had reached a resolution.

It quoted St Vincent Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves, who chaired the talks, as saying that “very good progress” had been made.

“I think that on the basis of the discussions, we have the framework and the modalities for the resolution of the issues and for cricket lovers.”

Of particularly heartening interest to South Africans, he added: “I fully expect that the best team will be in South Africa representing us.”

There had been earlier speculation that a weakened West Indies side might be sent, omitting the 14 first-choice squad members who quit India early, incurring the wrath of the powerful Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) which is seeking US$42-million in compensation from its Caribbean equivalent body, the WICB.

The West Indies are due to be the Proteas’ lone incoming opponents in the 2014/15 season, ahead of the 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand from February.

Their programme includes three Tests, three Twenty20 internationals and five ODIs.

The importance of the Caribbean outfit bringing the cream of their personnel was only emphasised on Sunday as several top-line West Indies players, representing South African franchises in the domestic T20 opening-round triple-header at the Wanderers, lit up the day.

Especially on song were Kieron Pollard for the Cape Cobras (72 not out and 3/22) and the Lions’ major acquisition Chris Gayle (4/36 and 56).

*A Cricket South Africa spokesperson told Sport24 that CEO Haroon Lorgat was on a flight to Dubai and comment on the Windies peace talks would only be available later on Monday or on Tuesday.

*Follow our chief writer on Twitter: @RobHouwing

Read more on:    haroon lorgat  |  cricket
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

The Proteas have announced plans to play a four-day Test against Zimbabwe starting on Boxing Day. What do you make of this?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.