Johannesburg - The Board of Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on Friday that it had accepted an invitation for South Africa to host the second season of the Champions League Twenty20 tournament at three venues from September 10 to 26 this year.
CSA is a shareholder in the Champions League, along with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the Australian Cricket Association (ACA), and it is South Africa's turn to host the tournament.
The 12-team tournament comprises the top sides in the domestic limited overs competitions in the following countries: Indian Premier League (3 teams) ; South Africa (2) ; Australia (2); England (2) ; Sri Lanka (1) ; New Zealand (1) ; West Indies (1)
The three venues will be the home grounds of the Standard Bank Pro 20 finalists for this season and the third will be allocated by CSA.
"This is a prestigious tournament involving seven of the world’s top cricket nations," said CSA President Mtutuzeli Nyokja. "It will be another feather in South Africa’s cap as a host of world-class sports events and will not clash in any way with the FIFA World Cup 2010. "It will also be a big boost to the local franchises, their players and supporters which will feature in the tournament."
The Board also agreed to continue with the recently concluded pioneer trial MTN40 season, which saw a marked increase in spectators from the old MTN Domestic Championship 45-over format.
"The MTN40 format was more exciting and attracted 99,060 fans compared to last year’s 45-over competition figure of 90,407.
"Judging by the attendance records at the grounds and television viewership, the spectators enjoyed the innovations and the initial response has been most positive, including that of sponsor MTN. The Chevrolet Warriors are to be congratulated on winning the trophy, which is their first," said Nyoka.