Williams, Kerber pull out of Dubai Open

2016-02-13 15:26
Angelique Kerber (Gallo Images)

Dubai - Top seeds Serena Williams and Angelique Kerber have withdrawn from the WTA Dubai Open, organisers announced on Saturday.

"We regret to announce that Serena Williams and Angelique Kerber have withdrawn due to illness and injury," the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships wrote on their official Twitter account ahead of the draw.

The news is a double blow for organisers with Williams and Kerber, the world's top two players, seeded number one and two respectively.

The 28-year-old German shocked Williams, 34, in the Australian Open final last month to win her first Grand Slam title.

Williams, who also withdrew in 2013 and 2015, said she was suffering from flu, while Kerber blamed a right upper thigh injury.

The withdrawals follow that of Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska and Alize Cornet of France.

Defending champion Simona Halep of Romania is now the top seed in the tournament which starts on Monday with world number five Garbine Muguruza of Spain moving up to second seed.

Read more on:    wta  |  angelique kerber  |  serena williams  |  tennis

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.