Berdych pulls out of Olympics over Zika

2016-07-16 19:06
tomas berdych
Tomas Berdych (Getty Images)

Prague - World number eight Tomas Berdych said Saturday he was pulling out of the Olympic tournament on concerns over the Zika virus, following a chorus of fellow tennis stars.

"I am very sorry to announce that I will not take part in this year's Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro," the 30-year-old Wimbledon semi-finalist said on Twitter.

"It is because of the Zika virus spread in the country of the Olympics."

"As I have founded a family recently, to limit health risks towards my nearest is the utmost priority."

Berdych, who married model Ester Satorova last year, has also pulled out of the Czech Republic's Davis Cup tie with France, in which the Czechs are trailing 1-2 after Saturday's rubbers.

Berdych follows a host of other tennis stars who are skipping Rio over the Zika scare, including John Isner, Dominic Thiem and most recently, Milos Raonic and Simona Halep.

Read more on:    olympics 2016  |  tomas berdych  |  tennis

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.