Wimbledon

Swiss court rules for Becker in debt case

2017-07-11 07:11
Boris Becker (AFP)

Geneva - A Swiss court has rejected a $41.4 million-euro claim against tennis legend Boris Becker by a former business partner, according to a judgement published on Monday. 

Swiss businessman Hans-Dieter Cleven claimed the German former world number one owed him $41.4 million, after Becker was declared bankrupt by a court in London last month. 

A tribunal in the Swiss city of Zug threw out Cleven's claim and ordered him to pay legal costs plus $93 107 in damages to the six-time Grand Slam winner, the ATS news agency reported. 

Cleven, who said Becker had missed several deadlines to repay him the money without specifying the origin of the sum, can appeal against the ruling. 

The 49-year-old Becker, currently working as a television pundit during the Wimbledon championship - which he won three times as a player - worked with Cleven on several projects in the past, particularly in the 1990s. 

Becker has denied he is bankrupt and told the German press he can meet all his financial obligations.



Read more on:    boris becker  |  tennis
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Vote

Novak Djokovic has 12 Grand Slam titles to his name, while Rafael Nadal boasts 15. Roger Federer is currently out in front with 18. When all is said and done, who wins more?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The Proteas are currently on tour in England, involved in a four-Test series with their hosts. How will they fare? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.