Wimbledon prize money hiked

2015-04-28 20:30
Tennis (File)

London - Prize money keeps going up at Wimbledon, with first-round losers as well as champions cashing in on record rewards.

The All England Club announced Tuesday that prize money for this year's grass-court Grand Slam will increase by 7 percent to reach a total of £26.75 million.

The men's and women's singles champions will each receive £1.88 million.

Organisers said the prize fund will be "the highest ever in professional tennis," surpassing last year's US Open purse.

In the space of four years, Wimbledon's purse has almost doubled in size from the £14.6 million on offer in 2011.

The increase has also filtered down to the early stages of the tournament.

A first-round loser this year will receive £29 000, a 7 percent increase from the £27 000 pounds offered last year.

Tournament chairperson Philip Brook said the prize money helps preserve Wimbledon's premier status and rejected suggestions that the winners are overpaid.

"I think without the world's best tennis players, we wouldn't have the world's best tennis tournament," Brook said. "We recognise the players are an essential ingredient of our championships and this level of prize money is affordable for these championships and therefore we feel it is important that we should reflect that in what we pay the players."

The prize money for the singles winners will rise 7 percent from the £1.76 million won by last year's champions Novak Djokovic and Petra Kvitova.

Men's and women's doubles winners will earn £340 000, an increase of £15 000, while mixed doubles winners will receive a rise of 4 percent to £100 000.

Wimbledon will run from June 29 to July 12. The break between the French Open and Wimbledon, normally two weeks, has been extended to three weeks for the first time this year.

The All England Club also said Hawk-Eye technology will be used on Courts 12 and 18, making it six courts in total equipped with the line-calling system.

Overall capacity has increased by 500 to 39 000 because Courts 14 and 15 will be available again after being re-laid during last year's event. A total of 19 courts will be in play for the championships.

Officials said progress is running on schedule for a roof to be built on Court 1, which should be ready for the 2019 competition.

All England Club chief executive Richard Lewis dismissed speculation that Wimbledon could sell British television rights to subscription channel Sky and break its long-term association with the BBC.

"There's absolutely no intention to go down that route whatsoever," Lewis said. "We have a very, very strong relationship with the BBC and we feel it works very well. And we see absolutely no reason to change that.

"Never say never, but not in the foreseeable future."

Read more on:    wimbledon  |  tennis

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.