Serena closing in on top spot
Paris - Serena Williams is poised to regain the WTA world No 1 ranking she lost in October 2010, following her win in Brisbane at the weekend.
The American was named WTA World Player of the Year last year for winning the Wimbledon and US Open titles as well as Olympic gold in London, but that was still not enough for her to overtake Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova ahead of her.
But she is close on their heels and, having being knocked out early at last year's Australian Open, is well placed to pick up big ranking points in Melbourne later this month.
Azarenka, who will be top seed at the year's first Grand Slam, has 10 595 points, 450 points ahead of Sharapova and 845 points clear of Williams.
WTA top rankings:
1. Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 10,595 pts
2. Maria Sharapova (RUS) 10,045
3. Serena Williams (USA) 9750
4. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 7505
5. Angelique Kerber (GER) 5550
6. Li Na (CHN) 5255
7. Sara Errani (ITA) 5100
8. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 5085
9. Samantha Stosur (AUS) 4135
10. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 3765
11. Marion Bartoli (FRA) 3740
12. Nadia Petrova (RUS) 3040
13. Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 2841
14. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 2540
15. Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 2495
16. Roberta Vinci (ITA) 2475
17. Lucie Safarova (CZE) 2125
18. Julia Goerges (GER) 1965
19. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 1841
20. Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) 1840
62. Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) 1015