Tennis

No assistance for Simmonds

2013-01-08 18:58
Chanel Simmonds (Gallo Images)
Johannesburg - South Africans Chanel Simmonds, Rik De Voest and Izak van der Merwe begin the gruelling bid into the Australian Open main draw when the qualifiers get underway in Melbourne on Wednesday.

And for 20-year-old Simmonds, South Africa's No 2 women's player, it is a particularly daunting task without a coach to guide her through the preliminary stages of the lucrative Grand Slam event.

Earl Grainger, who coaches Simmonds locally said Simmonds is a better and more mature player than when she took part in the Australian Open last year.

Grainger who has been mainly responsible in shaping and nurturing her talent, lamented on Tuesday that despite concerted efforts in tennis circles and the business sector, he had been unable to secure sponsorship that would have enabled him to accompany South Africa's most promising young tennis player.

"I've been on the ATP international tennis circuit myself," added Grainger, "and I know what it's like to be lonely and on your own in such a difficult and challenging environemnt - particularly when you are only 20 years old like Chanel and being confronted by the world's best women players," said Grainger

He added that the South African Tennis Association had helped Simmonds in the past, but were not assisting her at the moment.

"If a similar situation existed in Australia, the United States, China, Timbuktoo or anywhere else, they would be falling over themselves to aid and encourage the country's top prospect," said Grainger.

South African Tennis Association CEO Ian Smith was not available to comment on Tuesday.

Simmonds, South Africa's No 2 women's player behind Chanelle Scheepers, dominated the Futures tournaments in Potchefstroom recently before undertaking her Australian venture - winning one of the women's singles without dropping a set despite international opposition.

The points secured in Potchefstroom, however, have not elevated Simmonds's current 180th world ranking sufficiently to avoid going into the Australian Open qualifiers.

De Voest, returning to major tournaments after injury had sidelined him for two months last year, faces the prospect of meeting former South African seeded Wayne Odesnik in the second qualifying round.

And the incentive for him and Van der Merwe to reach the main draw is a substantial amount of R70 000 for the players who lose in the first round.

Read more on:    australian open  |  chanel simmonds  |  tennis
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Serena surges into Round 3

2014-08-28 21:52

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
7 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.