Nadal pulls out of US Open

2012-08-15 17:50
Rafael Nadal (File)

New York - Rafael Nadal withdrew from the US Open on Wednesday increasing concerns about the seriousness of the knee injury plaguing the 11-times Grand Slam winner.

The Spanish world No 3 has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat by lowly ranked Czech Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon in late June.

Nadal missed the London Olympics because of a recurrence of tendinitis in his knees and subsequently withdrew from ATP Tour events in Toronto and Cincinnati.

"I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play," Nadal, the 2010 US Open champion, said in a statement.

"I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions."

Nadal's absence from the Cincinnati tournament had already raised alarms in some quarters.

"I was going to write him and check on him because I can't believe he's been out that long," world No 1 Roger Federer said earlier this week.

"I thought the Olympics, okay, that's fine. That's a personal choice. I thought for sure we would see him in Toronto, but now he missed Toronto and Cincinnati.

"It's very surprising, because it was nothing that we heard of prior to the injury. So I'm sad for him," added Federer.

Nadal, 26, has had frequent problems with both his knees.

The tendinitis first arose when he pulled out of the 2008 Tennis Masters Cup, citing the problem in his knee and a year later the same complaint led to him missing the chance to defend his title at Wimbledon.

Knee injury forced him to withdraw from the Australian Open in 2010 and in March of this year he had to pull out of a semi-final clash with Andy Murray at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami due to a knee problem.

The next big date for Nadal is the semi-final of the Davis Cup when Spain take on the United States in Gijon on September 14.

"We hope to see him back on the court soon and look forward to his return to New York next year," US Open tournament director David Brewer said in a statement.

The US Open in New York runs from August 27 to September 9.

Read more on:    us open  |  rafael nadal  |  tennis


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.