French Open

Del Potro out of French Open

2013-05-22 14:48
Juan Martin Del Potro (AP)

Paris - Argentina's world number seven Juan Martin Del Potro has pulled out of the French Open with an ongoing viral infection.

Del Potro is the second top 10 ranked ATP player to withdraw from the second Grand Slam of 2013 following world number two Andy Murray's decision on Tuesday to pull out due to a back injury.

"This is a tough blow, because these are the events you dream of winning," Del Potro, who reached the last four at Roland Garros in 2009 and quarter-finals last year, said on Wednesday.

"Now I must get over this disappointment and recover completely in order to prepare at 100 percent for the tests to come," he added.

The Argentine was already forced to sidestep recent tournaments in Madrid and Portugal with the problem. He resumed at the Rome Masters last week before succumbing to France's Benoit Paire in the third round.

The French Open starts on Sunday.


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.