Gonzalez out of French Open
Paris - Hard-hitting Fernando Gonzalez of Chile has withdrawn from the French Open because of a knee injury.
The formerworld No 5 - a semi-finalist at Roland Garros two years ago - said on his Twitter account: "It's a shame, but I'm doing everything possible to come back and feel better."
The clay-court Grand Slam tournament begins on Sunday in Paris.
Gonzalez has dropped to No 370 in the ATP rankings after undergoing surgery on his right hip. He returned last month after an eight-month absence but retired at Challenger tournaments in Prague and Bordeaux because of his ailing knee.
The ATP said Gonzalez is likely to be sidelined for at least three weeks. He will be replaced in the main draw by Brian Dabul of Argentina.
For gorgeous gifts at gorgeous prices, click here for the ultimate Christmas gift guide from Clicks.
Read News24’s Comments Policy