Federer out of Shanghai event
Zurich - Last week's dash from the US Open in New York to Dubai to Sydney for a winning Davis Cup semi-final may have taken a big toll on Roger Federer, as the Swiss has withdrawn exhausted from next month's Shanghai Masters event.
The 30-year-old world No 3 told the ATP website that after consulting his team, he will not make the trip to Asia for the biggest regional tournament on the men's calendar which starts on October 10.
"I've unfortunately decided to pull out of Shanghai to take some necessary time to rest and recuperate after a long summer," the four-time champion in Shanghai said.
"I have some nagging injuries that I need to address and I look forward to returning to the Tour as soon as possible."
Federer fronted up in Sydney just a few days after a US Open semi-final and helped his nation back into the World Group, with a first-round date against the US in Switzerland already on the calendar for next February.
Federer's most likely return would be at his home Swiss Indoors in Basel from October, and event he has won for four of the past five years.
His pullout was the first from the Shanghai tournament by one of the tennis elite, all of whom put in the hard yards in playing Davis Cup.
Novak Djokovic aggravated an existing back injury and could not go on as Serbia lost, with the No 1 widely expected to cancel his Asian run of events in Beijing and Shanghai in October.
Spain's world No 2 Rafael Nadal is also hurting after a long season but is due to play in Asia, as is Scotland's world No 4 Andy Murray.
For gorgeous gifts at gorgeous prices, click here for the ultimate Christmas gift guide from Clicks.