Djokovic routs Ferrer
Abu Dhabi - Novak
Djokovic brought the curtain down on his stunning 2011 season with a
6-2, 6-1 thrashing of Spain's David Ferrer in the final of the Mubadala
World Tennis Championship exhibition event here on Saturday.
already crushed Roger Federer by the same score in the semi-finals,
world number one Djokovic looked on top of his game at the International
Tennis Complex as he eased past world number five Ferrer to claim the
$250 000 winner's prize.
The Serbian concluded the match with
consecutive aces, signing off for 2011 in fitting fashion after 12
months in which he won 11 tournaments, including the Australian Open,
Wimbledon and the US Open.
"It's been a fantastic experience the last couple of days," said Djokovic.
had a great preparation here in Abu Dhabi. Everyone was very kind, and
the crowd makes this tournament even better. We had a lot of fun and I
hope (the spectators) did, too."
Asked if he could repeat his 2011 successes next year, Djokovic said: "I think, yes. Nothing is impossible, if you believe.
think the crucial couple of weeks is now, for me to prepare for
Australia. We'll see. It's a long year and a difficult task, but I'm
looking forward to it."
Ferrer had beaten France's Jo-Wilfried
Tsonga in a three-set quarter-final before downing compatriot Rafael
Nadal in straight sets in the last four, but he had no answer to
Djokovic's athleticism and poise.
"It was difficult," admitted
Ferrer. "I know why Djokovic is number one in the world. He plays a
really good game, and he was better than me.
"I made the
semi-finals the first time I was here (in 2010) and the final this year,
and maybe I can come back next year and win."
Earlier on Saturday, Nadal defeated Federer 6-1, 7-5 to claim third place.
match was a repeat of the final of the last tournament, played in
January this year, which Nadal also won in straight sets to claim his
second consecutive title at the event.
"There's no better place to prepare for the season than here," said Nadal.
great stadium and great weather. I haven't had a lot of time to prepare
for the season, so these matches are important. Next week in Doha will
be another week of preparation."
Federer, 30, said he was happy with the overall standard of his play, despite his two defeats.
"I struggled throughout the weekend because I played some really good players," he said. "It was a great field."
Both Nadal and Federer will now travel to Qatar, to compete in the Doha tournament that marks the start of the 2012 ATP season.