Davydenko: No plans to retire
Kuala Lumpur - Russian veteran Nikolay Davydenko on Wednesday said he had no plans to quit tennis despite dropping down the rankings and drastically reducing his schedule.
The 31-year-old, who won the inaugural Malaysian Open in 2009, was speaking after reaching the second round of this year's tournament with a 7-5, 6-4 win over India's Sanam Singh.
Davydenko rose to world No 3 on the back of a hectic schedule which saw him play nearly 100 matches in 2006. But Davydenko, now ranked 44, said he was now content just stay in the top 50. He has lost half of his 40 matches this year.
"I don't want to push myself any more. I am happy to maintain my top 50 ranking and enjoy tennis," he said in Kuala Lumpur.
"My wrist injury (suffered in 2010) has fully recovered, but at this age it is not easy staying fit throughout the entire year."
Davydenko will meet next Denis Istomin after the Uzbek upset sixth seed Pablo Andujar of Spain 6-3, 6-2. And the Russian admitted he would have to improve if he wants to repeat his three sets win over Istomin earlier this year in Nice.
"I had great winners at times (on Wednesday) but a couple of silly mistakes followed. If I play like how I did today, then I have no chance of beating Istomin," he said.
Meanwhile, young Canadian Vasek Pospisil reached his first ever ATP quarter-final when he defeated American Michael Yani 6-3, 7-5.
"This is the first time I've reached an ATP quarter-finals so, I'm obviously delighted. I had an opportunity early in the second set but I didn't take it. He improved his game and it was tough from there on," said the 22-year-old.
Pospisil, ranked 122 in the world, will likely face second seeded Argentinean world No 11 Juan Monaco, who will make his Malaysian Open debut against wildcard entrant Jimmy Wang of Taiwan on Thursday.
"I've never played Jimmy but lost to Monaco once in straight sets in Canada this year," Pospisil said.
Top seeds David Ferrer, Monaco, Kei Nishikori and Alexandr Dolgopolov will take centre stage in the second round on Thursday, after receiving byes in the first round which was played over three days.
Fourth seed Dolgopolov, the Ukrainian world No 20, will take on Alejandro Falla - and the 61st-ranked Colombian said he was capable of springing a surprise.
"Dolgopolov is a favourite but I feel I can play well against him. It was a close match the last time and we both know each other's games. I have to play my best to beat him," said Falla.