Tennis

Bob Hewitt under investigation

2012-07-04 08:06
Bob Hewitt (File)

Providence - The International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport has hired an attorney to investigate allegations that 1992 inductee Bob Hewitt sexually abused girls he coached, an inquiry that could result in his expulsion or suspension from the Hall.

The Hall of Fame's chief executive officer, Mark Stenning, said on Tuesday that a lawyer with the Boston firm Hinckley Allen Snyder was interviewing people who say they were abused by Hewitt, who won nine doubles and six mixed doubles titles at Grand Slams in the 1960s and 1970s.

The lawyer, Michael Connolly, will prepare a report for the Hall's 24-member executive committee to help determine whether it should seek to expel or suspend the 72-year-old Hewitt or take no action, Stenning said.

No one has ever been expelled or suspended from the Hall. Stenning said its bylaws were changed in April to allow for it, but he declined to go into the details about how that would happen.

The AP was not immediately able to contact Hewitt, an Australian who lives in South Africa and has not been charged criminally.

The Weekend Post newspaper in South Africa quoted him in September as saying, "I only want to apologise if I offended anyone in any way."

Among those recently interviewed as part of the Hall's inquiry is Heather Conner, of West Newbury, Massachusetts. She says she was sexually abused by Hewitt starting at age 15, when she says he forced her to have sex with him near a high school in Massachusetts.

Conner, who has spoken publicly before and agreed to be identified, is critical of the Hall for not taking action sooner and said she wants to see Hewitt expelled.

"I would think that that would be something," she said.

The Hall of Fame's former president, Tony Trabert, initially promised an inquiry last year, but Stenning told The Boston Globe in May that none was being conducted.

Stenning said on Tuesday that had changed. The Hall should have taken steps to investigate more quickly but was now "doing the right thing," he said.

"In hindsight, we certainly could have handled this more swiftly," he said.

Stenning said the statute of limitations for criminal charges in the United States has expired but it doesn't apply in South Africa.

He said he didn't know how many women Connolly is interviewing as part of his inquiry. He said Connolly's report could be presented to the Hall's executive committee this month.

Connolly declined to offer any specifics about his inquiry.

Read more on:    bob hewitt  |  tennis
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Wawrinka ready for Toronto

2014-07-25 14:12

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
11 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • SS3
    Fri, 25 Jul 2014 @04:00
  • SS4:
    Fri, 25 Jul 2014 @05:00
  • SS5:
    Fri, 25 Jul 2014 @06:00
  • Blitz
    Fri, 25 Jul 2014 @07:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

TV schedule Plan your couch time with our searchable sport TV guide

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.