Australian Open

SA's Tiley lauded for Aus Open

2012-01-31 18:45
Craig Tiley (File)

Johannesburg - Former South African Davis Cup captain Craig Tiley has been lauded for the remarkable success of the recently-completed Australian Open at Melbourne Park.

Born in Johannesburg, Tiley has been the tournament director of the Grand Slam tennis event for the past four years.

"Craig was always an optimist who aimed high and worked hard to achieve success," said South African Tennis Association (SATA) marketing manager Bruce Davidson on Tuesday.

"Now that he is being universally praised for what men's singles finalists Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal and others have described as the best-run tournament on the international tennis circuit, he has received his just reward."

Davidson said Tiley was only an average player, but was dedicated to tennis and researched and studied all aspects of the game - with a special interest in the development of young talent.

Apart from his position as tournament director of the Australian Open, Tiley is also the Development Director of the Australian Tennis Association.

"He had big plans for South African tennis when he was captain of the Davis Cup team," added Davidson.

"Unfortunately, SATA did not have the resources to put these plans into practice and he was replaced by former Wimbledon finalist Kevin Curren."

Ironically, in the 1970s, it was the South African Open that was flourishing and attracting many of the best players in the world - among them Rod Laver, after whom the main stadium at the modernised Melbourne Park complex is named, Jimmy Connors, Arthur Ashe, Guillermo Vilas and many others - while the Australian Open was in the doldrums with talk that it could lose its Grand Slam status.

Since then, the Australian Open has flourished and gone from strength to strength, with this year's event attracting almost 700 000 spectators and producing matches like the five hour, 53 minute epic final between Djokovic and Nadal.

Meanwhile, the South African Open stagnated and went out of existence. It was revived and held at Montecasino for three years, but this year it has, once again, been wiped off the agenda.

Read more on:    australian open
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Li Na announces retirement

2014-09-19 07:34

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 

Device lets disabled people talk through their nose

A device that converts nose breaths into speech will open new doors for people with Parkinson’s or motor neuron disease.

 
 

For chic geeks...

It’s THIS easy for someone to steal your ATM pin!
This is why you should install iOS 8
17 photo illusions that look so real
Check out the speed of this robo-cheetah!
Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.