Australian Open

Nalbandian fined $8 000

2012-01-20 10:43
David Nalbandian (AP)

Melbourne - David Nalbandian has been fined $8,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct at the Australian Open.

The 30-year-old Argentine player was penalized for an unspecified off-court incident following his five-set, second-round loss to American John Isner on Wednesday.

Tournament officials declined to give details on Friday of the incident which led to the fine.

Nalbandian had been upset when umpire Kader Nouni's declined his request to challenge a line call because he had taken too long. The incident occurred with Isner facing break point at 8-8 in the deciding set.

Former No 3-ranked Nalbandian said afterward it was "ridiculous playing this kind of tournament with this kind of umpires."

Read more on:    australian open  |  david nalbandian

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.