Tennis

Aussie Open holds money talks

2012-10-11 10:09
Rod Laver Arena (File)

Melbourne - Tennis officials on Thursday said they held constructive talks with players agitating for a greater share of revenue at the Australian Open, a day after Andy Murray played down a boycott threat.

Last week organisers of the season's opening major boosted prize money to a record A$30 million as they responded to a push by players to gain a higher percentage of Grand Slam revenues.

At issue is the pay of lower-ranked players, who often exit in the first round after making the long journey Down Under.

Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood said he met with the ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) and Player Council on the sidelines of the Shanghai Masters about a fairer distribution of the prize money, and talks were productive.

"Tennis Australia has had some very constructive and positive discussions with the ATP and the Player Council," he said in a statement.

"We feel we have been well received and are buoyant about the future.

"We have talked about our long-term plans for player compensation, including further significant increases, and the feedback we have received from the ATP and the players has been positive."

While this year players pocketed A$20 800 for a first-round defeat at the Australian Open, some players struggle to make ends meet during the year as they pay for much of their own expenses and travel.

Without a high profile, they are also unable to score lucrative sponsorship deals that could help sustain their careers.

Players Council president Roger Federer on Sunday cautiously welcomed the move to boost prize money, but said he was not sure it was significant enough to quell player unrest over the long-running row.

However, on Wednesday Murray said he and other players never viewed a strike as a realistic option.

"From all the players I've spoken to so far, everyone's been very happy with the increases in the prize money and their plan over the next few years, as well," said the Scotsman.

While the prize money break-up is yet to be revealed, Australian Open director Craig Tiley last week said increases would be weighted towards those who lose in the early rounds.

More talks are scheduled to take place before a final decision is made, Wood said.

"We have plans for further discussions regarding distribution and will also be having talks with the WTA to get their feedback," he said.

"Our intention has always been to make a major contribution toward improving the compensation of professional tennis players to make their profession more viable throughout their ranks. The attitude of the players has been very pleasing."

The Australian Open is played at Melbourne Park in January.

Read more on:    australian open  |  tennis
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Sock faints at the US Open

2015-09-03 22:01

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
/Sport
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Featured

Take a photographical trip down memory lane and remind yourself of how the Springboks fared in their five previous Rugby World Cup campaigns. In addition, pick your all-time Springbok Rugby World Cup Dream Team and you could win R3 000!

Latest blogs
Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.