Anderson mum on Davis Cup
Johannesburg - There was good and bad news from top South African tennis player Kevin Anderson following his closely-fought defeat to seventh seed Tomas Berdych at the French Open.
"I was amazed how his game had improved in so many ways since I last saw him play in the Australian Open earlier in the year," SA Davis Cup captain John-Laffnie de Jager said on Sunday.
The impressive form shown by Anderson, seeded 31st, was tempered by the fact that he had still not committed himself to turning out in the crucial World Group playoff against Canada in September.
The playoff tie was awarded to South Africa by the International Tennis Federation, but due to a lack of funds, the SA Tennis Association ceded home-court advantage to the Canadians.
Without Anderson's presence, South Africa would effectively have no chance of overcoming the strong Canadian line-up that is expected to include dynamic 21-year-old rising star Milos Raonic and world No 2 doubles player Daniel Nestor.
De Jager was doing everything within his power to persuade South Africa's top player to make himself available for the difficult encounter.
"I had discussions with Kevin shortly after the Berdych game and we'll be meeting again within the next couple of weeks," De Jager said.
"At this stage I do not have any commitment from him to play in the Davis Cup, but neither has he said he will not be playing."
Anderson's form at Roland Garros, according to De Jager, emphasised his importance to the SA team.
"Instead of being pleased with his form and the great performance he had put up, he was bitterly disappointed he had not won because he led by two sets to one at one stage and felt he controlled most of the match," De Jager said.
"This was a good sign about how he is thinking and I believe he is a definite threat to the big guys in the future."