ATP Tour

Tsonga forced to withdraw in Rome

2016-05-09 16:49
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (AFP Photo)

Rome - Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga withdrew from the Rome Masters on Monday after injuring a thigh muscle during a morning training session.

The seventh seed, who was to have played in a second-round start against the winner from qualifier Ernests Gulbis and veteran Ivo Karlovic, said he would work to be fit for the start of the French Open at Roland Garros, which begins on May 22.

"I was sick when I left Madrid for two days, and I came here and I tried to play a little bit to see how it goes," Tsonga said. "This morning I just stretched a little bit my adductor.

"I'll take a rest and try to recover for the next step."

Tsonga lost in the Madrid third round to Milos Raonic and played a Monte Carlo semi-final against compatriot Gael Monfils last month.

"This is not something good to be a little bit injured before Roland Garros. I hope I will have the chance to recover quick enough to prepare as good as possible.

"This was not something I was looking for - I hope it's going to be all right."


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.