ATP Tour

Nastase given Wimbledon Royal Box snub

2017-05-03 21:56
Ilie Nastase (Getty Images)

London - Ilie Nastase will be barred from Wimbledon's Royal Box this year following the former world number one's behaviour at last month's Fed Cup tie against Great Britain.

Romania team captain Nastase was ejected from his team's match in Constanta after a series of foul-mouthed rants.

The 70-year-old was overheard making an apparently racist comment about Serena Williams' unborn baby when he said: "Let's see what colour it has. Chocolate with milk?''

Nastase also asked British captain Anne Keothavong for her hotel room number, verbally abused umpire Jaume Campistol and referee Andreas Egli before swearing at Keothavong and the British player Johanna Konta as he was sent from the court.

The two-time Grand Slam champion was escorted from the venue by security staff and banned for the rest of the tie. 

He defied that by briefly returning the following day, however, and had pointedly refused to apologise in the immediate aftermath, saying he had no regrets.

Nastase, who twice finished as runner-up at Wimbledon in the 1970s, is awaiting sanction by the International Tennis Federation after being hit with a provisional suspension.

Although the eccentric Nastase has been a regular alongside celebrities and sporting greats in the prestigious Royal Box in previous years, the All England Club indicated last week that it wouldn't invite him this year and their chairman Philip Brook has now made that official.

"What he did, we have to say his actions were not very good. We condemn them," Brook told reporters at Wimbledon on Wednesday. 

"In terms of an invitation to the Royal Box he is not going to receive one. I can confirm that."

Although the ITF ban doesn't cover Grand Slams, Wimbledon officials said he could be "turned away" if he tried to buy a ticket while still under investigation.

"At the moment he is under a temporary suspension by the ITF. We would support that," All England Club chief executive Richard Lewis said.

"He is under investigation. We will see what their conclusions are. We will wait for the outcome."

Read more on:    wimbledon  |  atp tour  |  ilie nastase  |  tennis
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 PSL season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.