Indian Wells - Aussie Nick Kyrgios lost his opening match Saturday at Indian Wells, spoiling what could have been a possible explosive quarter-final contest with countryman Bernard Tomic in the ATP Masters event.
Albert Ramos-Vinolas posted a 7-6 (7/4), 7-5 victory over the fiery Kyrgios, who Tomic accused of faking an illness to avoid playing in Australia's Davis Cup tie last week against the United States.
The 20-year-old Kyrgios, who pulled out of the tie citing a virus and back trouble and said Saturday he still hasn't fully recovered from his illness.
"I'm just not where I'd like to be," he said.
Kyrgios and Tomic were both seeded in the bottom half of the men's draw at Indian Wells and could have gone head to head if they both won their first three matches.
Kyrgios said he hasn't spoken in person to Tomic, who was overheard during a changeover during his Davis Cup match against John Isner questioning Kyrgios's absence from the tie.
While in conversation with team captain Lleyton Hewitt, television microphones caught Tomic muttering: "Nick's sitting down in Canberra. Bullshit he's sick."
Kyrgios, who reached the semis of the 2015 Australian Open, refrained from hitting back after his loss on Saturday, simply saying, "I'm just a bit disappointed."
"We haven't really talked about it, but I'm not, you know really going to say too much about it.
"He's a great guy and a great player."
Tomic, who won his opening match Saturday beating Rajeev Ram 6-4, 7-5, declined to comment on the feud.
"I would rather not talk about it," he said.