ATP Tour

Bautista Agut pulls out of Auckland Classic

2017-01-11 07:50
Roberto Bautista Agut (Getty Images)

Auckland - Top seed and defending champion Roberto Bautista Agut withdrew from the ATP Auckland Classic on Wednesday with a stomach virus, tournament organisers said.

The Spaniard, currently ranked a career-high 13 in the world, had been due to face 2014 winner Jiri Vesely in the second round after receiving a bye in the first.

Bautista Agut has already kicked off his season successfully with a title in Chennai and would be unwilling to take any chances in Auckland ahead of next week's Australian Open.

Tournament director Karl Budge said Vesely, of the Czech Republic, would instead face a "lucky loser" from the qualifiers in the second round later on Wednesday.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Vote

Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The pride of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland have combined once again to form the British & Irish Lions. Their mission? Victory over the world champion All Blacks in their own back yard. How will their three-test series pan out? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.