Johannesburg - Teenager Wayne Montgomery has been handed one of four wild card entries for next week's Soweto Open men's tennis tournament.
Tennis SA (TSA) announced on Wednesday that 17-year-old Montgomery, the eight-ranked junior men's player in the world, would be joined by Davis Cup players Ruan Roelofse and Jean Andersen, and national champion Tucker Vorster, in the ATP Challenger event.
"We have a strict policy at TSA to try and look after our rising stars," said tournament director and TSA chief executive Ian Smith.
"Ruan and Jean have proved over recent years their capabilities and potential, and demonstrated through their loyal availability to Davis Cup that they deserve their wild cards.
"Wayne has impressed on the world junior tour and hopefully this wild card will give him the important break to earn world ranking senior points, and springboard him onto the senior rankings and enable him to play senior events as a junior."
Smith said TSA had agreed to award the winner of the SA National Championships with a wild card, and Vorster won the tournament late last year to earn that spot.
"We are grateful to players participating in our national championships and Tucker played a great tournament, and as such deserves his wild card."
The six-day Soweto Open tournament starts on Monday at the Arthur Ashe Tennis Complex.