ATP Tour

Nadal wins doubles match

2013-02-06 07:36
Rafael Nadal (AFP)

Vina del Mar - Spain's Rafael Nadal launched his return from a seven-month injury break by teaming with Argentina's Juan Monaco for an emphatic doubles victory in the ATP clay court event here on Tuesday.

The return of the world number five, playing his first tournament since he was beaten in the second round at Wimbledon by Czech journeyman Lukas Rosol in late June, is the focus of attention at the $410 200 tournament.

In a warm-up for his long awaited singles match on Wednesday, Nadal teamed with Monaco to post a 6-3, 6-2 victory in just 65 minutes over second seeds Frantisek Cermak and Lukas Dlouhy in the first round of the doubles.

As the top seed, the 11-time Grand Slam champion enjoyed a first-round singles bye and will open his singles campaign with a second-round clash against Argentine qualifier Federico Delbonis.

Delbonis beat compatriot Guido Pella 2-6, 7-6 (7/4), 7-6 (7/1).

"It was a great feeling to play again and I'm very happy for doing it with a friend like Monaco in a great atmosphere that we had on the court," Nadal said.

"In doubles the effort is always less. We will see how it goes in singles and how my physical condition is."

Nadal, who will be 27 in June, has been careful to play down expectations, saying he still has some pain from his troublesome knees and doesn't expect to immediately rediscover his old winning ways in his first tournament back.

The Vina del Mar event is a starting point for a clay court season that culminates with the French Open in Paris starting in May.

"My aim is to compete courageously and hopefully the knee will stand up to it," Nadal said this week.

Nadal had been due to return to action at the notoriously physical Australian Open in January, but pulled out due to a viral condition.

Results of ATP US $410 000 VTR Open on Tuesday (x denotes seeding):


First round

Horacio Zeballos (ARG) bt Diego Schwartzman (ARG) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
Federico Delbonis (ARG) bt Guido Pella (ARG) 2-6, 7-6 (7/4), 7-6 (7/1)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) bt Pere Riba (ESP) 6-2, 6-2
Carlos Berlocq (ARG x8) bt Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS) 6-2, 6-1
Guillaume Rufin (FRA) bt Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) 6-3, 6-4
Christian Garin (CHI) bt Dusan Lajovic (SRB) 6-3, 6-4
Albert Montanes (ESP) bt Nicolas Massu (CHI) 6-7 (6/8), 6-3, 6-4


First round

Juan Monaco/Rafael Nadal (ARG/ESP) bt Frantisek Cermak/Lukas Dlouhy (CZE) 6-3, 6-2
Guillaume Rufin/Filippo Volandri (FRA/ITA) bt Juan Sebastian Cabal/Santiago Giraldo (COL) 6-4, 1-6, 10-7

Read more on:    atp tour  |  rafael nadal  |  tennis


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Sport Talk


Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.