ATP Tour

Federer skips Montreal ATP event

2015-07-30 07:31
Roger Federer (Gallo Images)

Montreal - Roger Federer withdrew from next month's Rogers Cup ATP Masters event in Montreal on Wednesday as he builds toward the US Open.

The 33-year-old world number two's withdrawal was announced in a press release, with reports citing "scheduling issues" for the pullout.

"I am disappointed that I won't be playing in Montreal because it's a tournament and a city that I really enjoy and has incredible fans," the Swiss star said, adding that he hoped to return to the tournament in the future.

Federer, beaten in the Wimbledon final earlier this month, is a two-time winner of the Rogers Cup when it was staged in Toronto in 2004 and 2006.

He also finished runner-up last year to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Jerzy Janowicz of Poland was named to replace Federer in the main draw.

Read more on:    roger federer  |  tennis

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.