Zurich - Roger Federer reinforced his strong hometown ties to the Swiss Indoor tournament with the world number 3 confirming that he expects to play at the event again form October 21.
The presence of the celebrated five-time champion had been in doubt since last autumn's edition, when Federer's lucrative appearance contract ran out.
Speculation suggested that he and director Roger Brennwald could not come to an arrangement and that the home hero might actually miss the event where he got his start in the game as a ball boy nearly two decades ago.
Federer on Wednesday confirmed to Zurich's Tages Anzeiger newspaper that an arrangement had been reached, though he refused to go into details.
"I will play the Swiss Indoors," said the world 31-year-old who is in the middle of a training block in Switzerland as he spends his longest spell in the country for years.
"I've played in Basel over the years, whenever I was not hurt. Everyone knows how much this means to me tournament, and that is still true. I've been a ball boy, played in the qualies and even as a junior hit with Andre Agassi.
"I've experienced many memorable moments in this unique atmosphere with the great fans, and I am pleased extremely to be able to experience this year. I can play in Basel also no contracts or arrangements, if I feel like it, and I did.
"To compete on home soil is very special for me because I'm on the road all year. I do not want to miss this chance."
Federer ducked the issue of whether his people have re-negotiated his longtime guarantee with Basel: "I really don't want to say anything further, because otherwise it just might be misinterpreted again. I never said that I will not play in Basel. And now I am trying to simplify this complicated matter."
He will miss the weekend start of the European run-up to the French Open as he skips the Monte Carlo Masters to continue his training. His return is set for the first week of May at the Madrid Masters, where he won the trophy a year ago on controversial blue clay.