Del Potro commits to Queen's
Juan Martin del Potro (File)
London - Indian Wells finalist Juan Martin del Potro has become the latest leading player to announce he will take part in the traditional Wimbledon grass court warm-up event at London's Queen's Club in June.
The Argentine, who lost in three sets to a resurgent Rafael Nadal in the final in California last week, joined US Open champion Andy Murray and world number six Tomas Berdych in committing himself to play at Queen's in the June 10-16 event.
"I like to play on grass, and at the Aegon Championships you feel like you are at home," said Del Potro, the world No 7.
Del Potro is looking forward to returning to London, where he won an Olympic bronze medal during the 2012 Games tennis tournament at Wimbledon.
"I have a fantastic memory from last year when I won the bronze medal at the Olympics," he said.
"It was a magnificent experience for me. I had never played at an Olympics before so it was a big moment for me and my country.
"To win on grass at Wimbledon as well made it an even bigger moment. I think that if I play my best tennis I have a chance to win a Grand Slam tournament on grass, but it will be very difficult."
On the hard courts of Indian Wells, Del Potro performed impressively to beat British star Murray from a set down in the quarter-finals before defeating world number one Novak Djokovic in the semis.
"Juan Martin proved he is back to his very best by beating Murray and Djokovic back-to-back last week, which is similar to what he did in 2009 when he won the US Open title in such spectacular style," said Queen's tournament director Chris Kermode on Tuesday.
"The British crowds really took to him when he won bronze at the Olympics last year, and we are thrilled that he has decided to return to London for the Aegon Championships. We look forward to seeing him at the Queen's Club in June."