Johannesburg - South Africa Davis Cup player Rik De Voest has committed himself to playing at the Soweto Open, Tennis South Africa (TSA) said on Wednesday.
De Voest is currently the lone South African in draw but having come off a recent 13-match winning streak, would be confident of a fine showing on his native soil. Tournament director Ian Smith said TSA still had to announce their wild-cards and were committed to assisting South African players through the wild cards.
"We realise that one of the main reasons we are hosting the Soweto Open is not only to give the tennis and sport fans of Joburg and South Africa the chance of seeing top class tennis," said Smith.
"But also to assist through wild cards, our up and coming players earn a break and possibly earn important world ranking points."
Smith said the qualifying tournament to be held on April 27 and 28 would award South Africans the opportunity of playing for the four qualifying spots in the main draw.
On April 3, TSA announced the tournament's overall prize money had been increased from R1 million to R1.5 million.
The additional half a million rand was negotiated between tournament hosts Tennis South Africa and partner Sport and Recreation South Africa.
The tournament will be staged at the Arthur Ashe Tennis Complex in Soweto from April 29 to May 4.