ATP Tour

Cilic denies faking injury

2013-09-25 18:00
Marin Cilic (File)
Zagreb - Croatia's Marin Cilic on Wednesday denied allegations that he had pulled out of this year's Wimbledon Championships by faking a knee injury to disguise a failed drug test.

Cilic was banned for nine months last week for testing positive for a banned supplement while the International Tennis Federations' (ITF) independent anti-doping tribunal on Tuesday published the full findings of his case.

Cilic said in a statement that although he cannot discuss his case until it has concluded at the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) he wanted to "address certain media reports which have suggested that I feigned an injury at Wimbledon."

The 24-year-old did not mention the tribunal's findings that stated that he "withdrew from Wimbledon, citing a knee injury to avoid adverse publicity" from a failed drugs test.

Cilic said that he had "already developed a signficant knee injury before Wimbledon and aggravated it during my first round match."

Stressing that he was "nonetheless very keen to continue playing" at the tournament he was then "advised that there was a possibility that my results at Wimbledon could be wiped out depending on the result of my case."

"It no longer made any sense for me to risk causing my knee a more serious injury and to deprive someone else the opportunity of playing deeper into the tournament.

"I therefore took the painful decision to pull out of Wimbledon and to accept a voluntary suspension pending the determination of my case."

The No 10 seed at Wimbledon, having lost in the final of the Queen's grasscourt warm-up tournament in London to Britain's Andy Murray, pulled out of his Grand Slam match against France's Kenny de Schepper on June 26 having accepted a provisional suspension for a positive test.

However, he cited a knee injury as the reason and with seven players in all withdrawing there was speculation the hardness of Wimbledon's courts was behind the unusual number of injury-enforced pull-outs.

Cilic tested positive for banned supplement nikethamide after taking Coramine glucose tablets purchased at a pharmacy in Monte Carlo.

While the tribunal said the offence was "not at the most serious end of the scale" it still deserved a nine-month ban.

Read more on:    atp tour  |  marin cilic  |  tennis

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Which is your favourite Grand Slam of the year?

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.