Scan reveals no Terry fracture
John Terry (AFP)
London - John Terry said on Wednesday he hoped to play in Saturday's FA Cup final for Chelsea after a scan revealed that he had not suffered a fracture to his right foot, as had been feared.
The England defender's chances of playing in the World Cup had hung in the balance for several hours after he was rushed to hospital for the scan following a knock in training.
But in a statement, he reassured fans of both club and country.
"I took a slight knock in training but with such an important match on Saturday the right course of action was to put a protective boot on my right foot and have a CT scan," Terry said.
"The scan has shown there is no break and I am hoping to train tomorrow (Thursday) if not Friday and of course play in the FA Cup final on Saturday."
A metatarsal fracture would have left Terry with no chance of featuring in England's campaign in South Africa, which kicks off on June 12 against the United States in Rustenburg.
It would also have compounded what has been a tough season for the defender, who was stripped of the national team's captaincy earlier this year following revelations of an extra-marital affair.
Terry's form dipped in the aftermath of the scandal and his status as an automatic first-choice for England is under threat from Ledley King, the Tottenham centre-back who finished the season in commanding style and was included in the 30-man provisional squad Capello named on Tuesday.
The national team coach also succeeded in persuading Liverpool's Jamie Carragher to come out of retirement from international football, providing himself with further cover at centre-back.
Capello does not need any further injury problems given that he is already sweating over the availability of his first-choice holding midfielder, Gareth Barry.
The Manchester City player suffered ankle ligament damage last week and will not be able to resume training until the first week of June at the earliest.
A medical on May 24 will decide whether Barry is included in England's final squad of 23, which has to be submitted to FIFA by June 1.