FIFA changes yellow card rule

2010-06-19 15:41
Johannesburg  - FIFA has changed its rule on yellow-card amnesties at the Soccer World Cup to reduce the chances of big name players missing out on the July 11 final.

Germany's Michael Ballack in 2002, Italy's Alessandro Costacurta in 1994 and Argentina's Claudio Caniggia in 1990 are the best-known players to have missed World Cup finals after picking up second yellow cards in semis.

So for this tournament, world soccer's governing body has shifted its usual amnesty for yellow cards from the end of the first round until after the quarterfinals instead.

That means players would only miss the final if they receive two yellow cards - or of course a straight red - in a semifinal game, rather than in the past when they may have carried one yellow card going into a semi.

"FIFA simply said we want to give the best players a chance to play in the final," spokesperson Marius Schneider said.

"The discussion first came up when Ballack was ruled out."

England fans remember the old rule well because of Paul Gascoigne's tears during their semi-final in Italy in 1990.

Although they eventually lost to Germany, the always emotional Gascoigne wept on the pitch when he received a yellow card that would have ruled him out of the final.

Red card rules remain the same.

A red carries at least a one-match suspension and possibly more if the disciplinary committee considers the offence particularly serious. So, in theory, a player red-carded even before a semifinal could also miss the final.

Referees have generally been praised for their performances so far at this World Cup, although Germany were furious at Miroslav Klose's sending off against Serbia for a second bookable offence and the United States believe they were denied a legitimate third goal in their 2-2 draw with Slovenia.

More In This Category

Thierry Henry would never consider playing for France again even if new coach and former teammate Laurent Blanc asked him to.
An emotional Diego Maradona says he was betrayed as Argentina coach by national team director Carlos Bilardo.
Carlos Alberto Parreira has left South Africa at the end of his contract with Bafana Bafana, headed for his home in Rio de Janeiro.
Ghana defender John Mensah has refuted claims of a spat with the Ghana Football Association over unpaid Soccer World Cup bonuses.
Comments
Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
15 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk