FIFA admits to ticket blunder

2010-04-23 16:28

Zurich - FIFA admitted on Friday that their largely internet-based system of ticket sales for the 2010 World Cup may have been a mistake but added that stadiums will be at least 95% full for all matches after a sales surge.

Over-the-counter sales of tickets in host nation South Africa began last week, igniting real World Cup fever in the country for the first time and there was chaos as thousands of fans rushed to buy, crashing the computer system.

"I think we should have opened ticketing centres in the country before," FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke told reporters on Friday.

"Yes, we have to think about our ticketing policies and maybe review the policy which limits people to buying four tickets for one game. We will learn for 2014.

World soccer's governing body initially made tickets available only on the internet and was criticised for misunderstanding South African culture where the poor black fans who are soccer's biggest supporters do not have access to computers or bank accounts.

The fifth and final stage of sales has seen 500 000 tickets put on offer and Valcke said that 200 000 had already been snapped up.

Until the last week's surge, there had been worries that swathes of empty seats could mar the tournament after tickets were returned from overseas and corporate customers.

"We're very confident of having a high number of people attending all 64 matches," Valcke said.

"The only World Cup with 100% occupancy was in 1994 in the United States but we will have at least 95% occupancy of all stadiums."

However, Valcke said FIFA would not be cutting prices in a bid to fill seats.

"We are not giving any tickets away for free, there will be no discount on tickets," he said.

Read more on: jerome valcke 2010 swc

More In This Category

Thierry Henry would never consider playing for France again even if new coach and former teammate Laurent Blanc asked him to.
An emotional Diego Maradona says he was betrayed as Argentina coach by national team director Carlos Bilardo.
Carlos Alberto Parreira has left South Africa at the end of his contract with Bafana Bafana, headed for his home in Rio de Janeiro.
Ghana defender John Mensah has refuted claims of a spat with the Ghana Football Association over unpaid Soccer World Cup bonuses.
Comments
Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
26 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk