Benni 'tantrum' not on

2010-05-20 07:34
Johannesburg - Pollen 'Trompies' Ndlanya believes Benni McCarthy should have faced the media but says the striker still has a role to play for Bafana Bafana.

The West Ham striker snubbed the press on Tuesday due to speculation about his physical condition.

Ndlanya, a former South African international, was critical of McCarthy for causing a stir just before the Soccer World Cup.

"It is disturbing to hear of such things at this stage. We do not want to hear stories like these with so little time left before a big tournament like the World Cup," Ndlanya told Football365.co.za.

McCarthy was upset by quotes attributed to Bafana's physical trainer Francisco Gonzalez who allegedly said the forward was overweight.

Although disappointed with McCarthy's handling of the matter, Ndlanya says he understands why the 32-year-old skipped the scheduled media conference.

"I mean, he is a human being like everyone of us," said Ndlanya.

"It is his choice not to go there but he should know that being in Bafana camp means he would have to be interviewed by the media at some stage.

"If it was me, I would have gone but put down conditions that I would not answer on specific matters that I felt uncomfortable with.

"It was not right for him to not go at all. I would not say he should be dropped from the team because I still believe he can do a good job for us at the World Cup.

"There had been very negative reports about him everywhere and the next thing he has to face the media. I am not justifying what he did because we have a right to know how his World Cup preparations are coming along and whether he feels he would be fit in time for kick-off." 

More In This Category

Thierry Henry would never consider playing for France again even if new coach and former teammate Laurent Blanc asked him to.
An emotional Diego Maradona says he was betrayed as Argentina coach by national team director Carlos Bilardo.
Carlos Alberto Parreira has left South Africa at the end of his contract with Bafana Bafana, headed for his home in Rio de Janeiro.
Ghana defender John Mensah has refuted claims of a spat with the Ghana Football Association over unpaid Soccer World Cup bonuses.
Comments
Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
59 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk