OR Tambo airport '100% ready'
Johannesburg - OR Tambo International Airport is ready for any security incidents, including terrorism, during the World Cup, head of security Jason Tshabalala said on Tuesday.
"The South African Police Service is co-ordinating security, we are part and parcel of that cluster," he said at a briefing on airport readiness.
"There are different threat levels but we'll be advised accordingly... we do have plans in terms of that."
Lieutenant General Shaun Tshabalala from the police would not be drawn on the number of policemen to be deployed to the Johannesburg airport during the World Cup, but said it was more than a thousand.
He said police with sniffer dogs would work three shifts a day.
OR Tambo general manager Chris Hlekane said the airport was ready to welcome the large volume of visitors expected during the event which kicks off next month.
"I can now confidently say that we have gotten to a hundred percent [readiness]," he said.
He did not anticipate any problems with fuel shortages as a result of the Transnet strike.
Plans were near completion to welcome the various teams into the country.
Teams starting to arrive
OR Tambo International would receive four teams, including Brazil, this week and 16 teams next week.
A temporary facility to receive the teams had been set up to help the soccer players with the airport's travel requirements.
It was unclear whether fans would be allowed to welcome the soccer teams into the country.
Tshabalala from Saps said: "Our view is that it should not happen... There's television, people can there [to see the players]."