No cars near SWC stadiums
Johannesburg - Private cars will be blocked from World Cup stadiums, forcing fans to use shuttles to ease traffic after bottlenecks marred dress rehearsal matches.
Johannesburg metro officials said on Friday that highways leading to the 94 700-seat Soccer City, venue for the opening and closing matches, were jammed with cars on Thursday as fans made their way to the friendly between Bafana Bafana and Colombia.
Traffic stretched for over five kilometres.
"This won't be seen during the World Cup," said Sibongile Mazibuko, who heads the city's World Cup projects.
"Our park-and-ride facilities around the city will help reduce congestion around the stadium precinct as per FIFA regulations," she said.
A 800m security perimeter around the stadiums will allow only special vehicles, park-and-ride buses and pedestrians to enter, she said.
"The park-and-ride buses will start operating during the pre-kickoff concert in Soweto to the last day of the games," said Mazibuko.
The system was first introduced during the curtain-raiser FIFA Confederations Cup last year, when the system got off to a rocky start as bus drivers battled to get fans to and from the stadiums on time.
Read News24’s Comments Policy