Dutch brewer case dropped

2010-06-22 12:54
Johannesburg - The case against two Dutch women accused of an illegal promotion stunt by a brewer at a World Cup match last week has been dropped, the National Prosecuting Authority said on Tuesday.

"FIFA was not interested in proceeding with the matter. There was a settlement that was reached between the parties and we ... decided to exercise discretion and not proceed with the matter," said NPA spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga.

The two women, Barbara Castelein and Mirthe Nieuwpoort, left shortly after the court proceedings and did not speak to a throng of international media outside the court.

The Dutch women were among a group of about three dozen who wore skimpy orange dresses in a suspected "ambush marketing" stunt by brewer Bavaria at a match between the Netherlands and Denmark at Soccer City stadium last Monday.

Read more on: bavaria fifa johannesburg

More In This Category

Diego Maradona has sent a message of love and admiration to former president Fidel Castro and promised to visit Cuba soon.
Gideon Sam, president of South Africa's Olympic governing body SASCOC, has urged South Africans to look further down the road.
A German aquarium says there is no way it will sell or lend octopus oracle Paul to Spain, after repeated requests from the country.
Nine out of 10 foreign visitors in SA for the World Cup will recommend the country as an ideal holiday destination, a survey has found.
Comments
Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk