Cup scam targets musicians
Johannesburg – Musicians should beware of scam artists who posed as festival organisers and promised them gigs at soccer World Cup concerts, police warned on Wednesday.
There had been many complaints from performers approached for their details and an advance fee to secure a contract at the opening and closing cup concerts, SA Police Force spokesperson Musa Zondi said.
"The scam promises artists that they will perform in opening and closing ceremonies.
"Further, the artists or individuals are asked to give away their particulars including bank accounts before the contract can be secured," he said.
"A selling point is the offer of free 5-star accommodation, meals, and transport while in the country."
Artists approached with such a deal should treat it with suspicion, Zondi said.