28 convicted in special courts
Johannesburg - Twenty-eight people have been convicted in the specialised World Cup courts in the three weeks of their operation, a National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson said on Monday.
Mthunzi Mhaga said in a statement that 76 cases had been enrolled in the courts since they started operating on May 28.
Thirty of the cases were finalised, with 28 people convicted successfully and two acquittals.
"Some [were] withdrawn due to insufficiency of evidence," said Mhaga.
Fifty-six special courts dedicated to deal with 2010 Soccer World Cup offences were set up before the tournament.
The courts, running in two shifts - a morning shift from 08:30 to 16:30 and a night shift from 16:30 to 23:00, received a budget of R45m.
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Moyes must pass Toon test
A night of football, which has been described in one newspaper as ‘Wild Wednesday’, unfolded across...