De Rossi hopes for no drama

2014-06-18 19:06
Daniele De Rossi (AFP)

Mangaratiba - After being at the centre of controversy at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, Daniele De Rossi now wants to be at the heart of Italy's push for a fifth world title.

The tough-tackling midfielder, known as DDR by the media, was red carded in 2006 for a crunching challenge on America's Brian McBride and fell theatrically to the floor to earn a dubious penalty against New Zealand four years later.

Playing in his third World Cup, the 30-year-old, who has spent his entire senior career at Roma, admits he fears what Brazil 2014 might have in store.

"Superstitious? A little bit," he said ahead of Friday's second Group D match against Costa Rica in Recife.

"Especially of a red card. After all these years, the only time I have been sent off playing for Italy was in 2006. Now I want to make sure that we qualify for the second round."

Having defeated England 2-1 in their opener, Italy will face Costa Rica who stunned Copa America champions Uruguay in their first match.

With England and Uruguay playing 24 hours earlier in Sao Paulo, Italy's mission will be a lot clearer by Friday.

Not that World Cup success is going to change De Rossi who prefers to keep his business as low key as possible.

"Even at my club, I am not very enthusiastic about open training sessions. It's great for the children who come to see us but I do better without the noise of the 'tifosi' (fans), without you journalists," he said.

"I prefer silence for my work, for concentration."

Regarded at Roma as "Capitano Futuro", the heir to captain's armband worn so long by Francesco Totti, De Rossi is also not a fan of social media, keeping his distance from Twitter and Facebook.

"I am not against Twitter and Facebook, but I prefer to use private means. When I have something to say, I come to a press conference."

Another matter he is not keen on communicating is his opinion on Italy's minimum prospects in Brazil.

"To do that would make me look mediocre. In Germany in 2006, we were not the favourites and yet we went on to win the title."

If Italy make the quarter-finals -- and De Rossi steers clear of the cards -- he will make his 100th appearance.

But he has no thoughts of an impending international retirement.

"When I reach that time, you (the media) will be the first to know. I still feel able to play at the international level, I still feel young, still strong and still have plenty of confidence in my physical ability," he said.

"I love playing for the 'Nazionale' and as long as I am capable of doing it I will continue."


More In This Category

Alejandro Sabella, who steered Argentina to the SWC final, has decided to quit as coach, Argentine has media reported.
The Japanese referee whose decisions in the opening match of the SWC triggered a storm of controversy has hit back at critics.
Brazilian superstar Neymar's brain activity while dancing past opponents is less than 10 percent the level of amateur players.
England's dismal SWC campaign in Brazil was doubly disappointing for Britain's pub operators, prompting soccer fans to stay at home.
Comments
Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk