Baron blow for Bafana

2010-04-07 10:49

Johannesburg - Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Emile Baron will miss the Soccer World Cup after being told his injured shoulder needed surgery, his club said on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old, who was in the running for the host nation's number one spot, suffered the injury in training with the squad in Brazil last month.

It was initially hoped he would heal in time for the June 11-July 11 World Cup but doctors recommended surgery last week and have now told Baron and his club he will not be ale to play until July, SuperSport United officials confirmed.

Baron, who previously played at Norwegian club Lillestrom, has six caps for South Africa and returned to the national squad after a six-year hiatus.

He also helped SuperSport win the South African championship for a third successive year.

Read more on: swc south africa

More In This Category

Alejandro Sabella, who steered Argentina to the SWC final, has decided to quit as coach, Argentine has media reported.
The Japanese referee whose decisions in the opening match of the SWC triggered a storm of controversy has hit back at critics.
Brazilian superstar Neymar's brain activity while dancing past opponents is less than 10 percent the level of amateur players.
England's dismal SWC campaign in Brazil was doubly disappointing for Britain's pub operators, prompting soccer fans to stay at home.
Comments
Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
14 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Sport Talk