Beckenbauer stays home
Berlin - German football legend Franz Beckenbauer is cancelling his trip to
the World Cup in Brazil in the light of FIFA suspending him for 90 days
over the investigation into the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid, he told the
German media on Saturday.
Franz Beckenbauer (AFP)
The 68-year-old, who won the World Cup
both as a player and as a coach in 1974 and 1990 respectively, told
daily newspaper Bild he did not feel he would be made welcome after FIFA
announced he had been suspended because he refused to speak to
investigators looking into allegations that Qatar paid bribes to secure
votes for its 2022 World Cup bid.
"I won't be going to Brazil," said Beckenbauer, whose sole title these days is honorary president of Bayern Munich.
"I am basing that decision on the fact I will not be welcomed by FIFA."
who was a member of the FIFA executive board in 2010 when the votes
were cast to award Russia the 2018 finals and Qatar the 2022 edition,
had originally planned to go to Brazil for the semi-finals.
refused to cooperate with Michael Garcia, the former US federal
prosecutor who headed an investigation in the votes for the Qatar vote
and another that awarded the 2018 World Cup to Russia.
The ban was
ordered by FIFA's Ethics Committee adjudicatory chamber because a
breach of FIFA's code of Ethics "appears to have been committed and a
decision on the main issue may not be taken early enough.
apparent breach relates to Mr Beckenbauer's failure to cooperate with an
Ethics Committee investigation despite repeated requests for his
assistance, including requests that he provide information during an
in-person interview or in response to written questions provided in both
English and German," said the statement.
A formal investigation
of the Beckenbauer case has now been started by investigatory chamber
member Vanessa Allard, added the FIFA statement.
spotlight has fallen on Garcia's investigation following allegations
reported by the Sunday Times newspaper that a former Qatar football boss
and FIFA vice-president, Mohamed bin Hammam paid more than five million
dollars to get support for the emirate's bid.
The ban against
Beckenbauer is largely symbolic as he is no longer on the FIFA executive
and has no real role in German football.
However, because of his
playing and coaching record and his role as head of the German committee
which organised the 2006 World Cup he remains very influential in
In an interview with Bild, Beckenbauer
said he had nothing to hide, but complained that Garcia had refused to
pose his questions in a language he understood.
"I have absolutely
nothing to hide and I am clearly also of the opinion that there must be
sanctions for those responsible when corruption is proved," he told
"I was ready to answer all pertinent questions, but they
sent them to me in a legal English that I could not understand in such a
"So I politely asked that the interview be held in German and I was refused. So I said: 'Never mind,'" Beckenbauer added.
Beckenbauer said he had a right to keep his FIFA vote in 2010 secret.
he added: "People with a memory will remember that I declared just
after (the vote) that the choice of Qatar surprised me. And I was one of
the first to say that a World Cup over there was impossible and that it
would have to be played in winter."
According to British media
reports, quoting thousands of emails linked to the case, Beckenbauer
went to Qatar as a guest of bin Hammam before the 2010 vote and met the
state's emir. They added that he returned after the vote.