Terry case allowed to 'fester'

2012-09-28 14:09
John Terry (AFP)

London - English football's players' chief accused the game's authorities of allowing the John Terry case to "fester" after taking nearly a year to ban the Chelsea captain for racist abuse.

Chelsea centre-back Terry received a four-game ban on Thursday for racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand during a match in October last year.

The Football Association's disciplinary process was put on hold at the request of prosecutors so as not to prejudice a trial relating to the incident which saw Terry acquitted of criminal charges by a London court in July.

Gordon Taylor, chief executive of England's Professional Footballers Association (PFA), said potentially irreparable damage had been done by the FA hearing not starting until Monday.

That was a day on from Luis Suarez finally shaking hands with Patrice Evra after the Liverpool striker received an eight-game ban for racially abusing the Manchester United defender last season.

"Almost 12 months on and the John Terry case was still not heard by the FA until the day after Luis Suarez shook hands with Patrice Evra at Anfield," Taylor said on Friday.

"Such a delay has allowed the matter to fester and cause divisions in the football family which will take a long time to heal - if they ever do.

"We have to move on now and move on together and continue our focus to eradicate racism from the game and society.

"There should be new educational processes for all players - young and old, and for managers and directors.

"There should be equitable recruitment processes, and a fast-track disciplinary process that does not allow for delays or holding off at the request of the Crown Prosecution Service."

Read more on:    fa  |  john terry  |  soccer

Tinkler: We gave it our all

2015-11-30 07:44


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.