Soccer

R460m boost for soccer

2012-10-25 15:31

Cape Town - While Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has warned of a "constrained fiscal environment", Treasury has seen fit to allocate close to half a billion rand for next year's Africa Cup of Nations tournament.

The 2012 Medium-Term Budget Policy Statement, tabled on Thursday, reveals a total of about R460m in "unforeseeable and unavoidable expenditure" has been set aside for the hosting of the soccer event.

This includes a R213m allocation to the sports and recreation department, most of which will be distributed to host cities.

The SA Police Service will receive an additional R165m to provide security, while the department of arts and culture will get R18.5m for "creative programmes in respect of the Africa Cup of Nations 2013 final draw and opening and closing ceremonies".

According to the 2012 Adjusted Estimates of National Expenditure document, also tabled on Thursday, Foreign Affairs Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane is set to spend R18m rand on providing services for heads of state who attend the tournament.

The department of home affairs will also get R15m to spend on dedicated lanes for arriving teams and spectators at airports and border posts.

The presidency will receive R6m for Brand South Africa to use during the event, while the Government Communications and Information System will provide services to the tune of R10m.

Treasury will contribute R15m to the health department to ensure medical services during the tournament.

Defending the spending at a media briefing on Thursday morning, Deputy Finance Minister Nhanhla Nene said he did not believe the amount spent on the event was extravagant.

"I do not regard the hosting of the [tournament]... as a vanity project. Neither would the soccer fraternity, [or] South Africans... ," said Nene.

Spending on the event had been cut "to the bone", he said.

Oversight bodies were welcome to hold government to account, and ensure the country got value for money out of the event.

Libya was meant to host the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations tournament, but backed out as a result of the political turmoil in that country.

South Africa, which was meant to host the tournament in 2017, offered to stand in for Libya.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 

6 life hacks you simply have to know

A few simple tricks can make your life so much easier!

 
 

For chic geeks...

Device lets disabled people talk through their nose
It’s THIS easy for someone to steal your ATM pin!
This is why you should install iOS 8
17 photo illusions that look so real
 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Is Louis van Gaal the right man to restore the glory days at United?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.