Soccer

Shot 'keeper to get $25 000

2010-09-27 15:48
Kodjovi Obilale (AFP)

Paris - Sepp Blatter is promising $25 000 for Kodjovi Obilale, the goalkeeper shot and badly injured in the terror attack on Togo's team bus at the Africa Cup of Nations in January.

Obilale, speaking on Monday by phone, said he received a letter from the FIFA president this weekend. Blatter wrote that the money would come from a FIFA humanitarian fund, Obilale said.

"It's kind," he said of the donation.

Obilale was shot twice in the back, suffering spinal and other injuries. He can no longer move his right leg below the knee nor feel its foot and toes. The 25-year-old does not expect to ever again play football but hopes that, with time, he might be able to walk. For now, he uses a wheelchair.

In an interview last week with The Associated Press, Obilale said he felt that football officials abandoned him after the machine-gun attack claimed by separatists in Angola's oil-producing Cabinda region. The Togo team's assistant coach, its press official and their Angolan bus driver were killed.

Obilale said that neither the Confederation of African Football, which organizes the Africa Cup, nor Angola, which hosted the 2010 edition, have contacted him. He also complained that officials in Togo have been slow to help.

Frustrated, he wrote to Blatter in August asking for his assistance. Even though FIFA was not directly involved in the cup, Africa's showpiece football tournament, Obilale felt that only football's world governing body has the power to force CAF, Angola and Togo to come up with a decent compensation package.

"The only person who can shift all this is Mr Blatter," he said in the interview at his hospital in western France, where he used to play professionally.

Blatter wrote back that FIFA could not be held responsible for the "tragic" attack, Obilale said, reading the letter out by phone to The AP. But Blatter added: "We will continue to study this dossier."

"I wish you a lot of courage," Blatter wrote, according to Obilale.

A payment of $70 000 that Togo's sports minister promised a month ago when he visited Obilale in France finally landed in his bank account last week.

Obilale said on Monday that the money was sufficient to pay off three of his seven months of hospital bills. He plans to send the remainder of the bill to authorities in Togo for payment.

Read more on:    fifa  |  2010 swc  |  sepp blatter  |  togo
NEXT ON SPORT24X

WRAP: Champions League

2014-10-22 23:00

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 

Red Bull Lionheart trail run - not for the fainthearted!

Entries are open, so what are you waiting for?

 
 

Where were you when you last felt alive?

Adventure holidays for your bucket list
Top 10 water sports to try before you die
6 impressive camping tips
LOL! The 8 stages of marathon running
 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Featured

Got something you'd like to get off your chest? Got a burning desire to air an opinion? If so, be sure to sign-up on Sport24's FORUM!

Latest blogs
Vote

Who is the best new player in the English Premiership this season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.