SABC ends Bafana circus
Johannesburg - The SABC and the SA Football Association (SAFA) reached an agreement on broadcasting rights on Tuesday, the broadcaster announced.
Under the agreement, the SABC will carry all the national soccer teams' games for three years.
The agreement had yet to be presented to the SABC and the SAFA boards for approval, the SABC said in a statement.
The details of the contract would be made public, once both boards had approved the deal.
The SABC envisaged that the contract would be signed in the second week of May.
"For the SABC this is a historic milestone for both parties, as previously we negotiated on a game to game basis," said SABC acting chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng.
"Once the contract has been signed, South Africans can rest assured that for the next three years, they will be able to watch the national soccer teams whenever they play home games," he said.
"The agreement has been structured in a way that all parties, but especially the South African public, wins.
"This agreement will further strengthen the relationship between the SABC and SAFA, as it was perceived to be on shaky ground."
SAFA commercial committee chairperson Dr Danny Jordaan said the deal was a significant advancement for SAFA's commercial programme and would enable it to ensure it achieves the international success which was "our immediate, medium and long-term goal".
Acting SAFA president Mandla Mazibuko, who also chairperson its finance committee, said the deal ensured that the country's people would get to see national team matches free-to-air.
SAFA and the SABC have agreed to work together in negotiations with Sports Five about the broadcasting of away games involving Bafana Bafana.
For gorgeous gifts at gorgeous prices, click here for the ultimate Christmas gift guide from Clicks.