London - Fabio Capello has assured a remorseful Wayne Rooney he will be selected for next year's Euro 2012 despite the three-match ban that has ruled the striker out of the group stage, it was reported Friday.
Several newspaper reports said Capello met Rooney at Manchester United's training ground on Thursday to confirm his selection while informing the forward he would not be picked for upcoming friendlies against Spain and Sweden.
Rooney was banned for three matches after picking up a red card in England's final qualifying game against Montenegro last month.
The 26-year-old striker had hoped to feature against world champions Spain in next Saturday's friendly at Wembley, but has now been told by Capello he will be omitted from the squad when it is announced on Sunday.
Capello plans to use the friendlies as an opportunity to experiment as he prepares for life without Rooney during the group stage of the Euros.
Rooney meanwhile was quoted as saying he was "stupid" to have got sent off as English officials mulled whether or not to launch an appeal.
It emerged also that the victim of Rooney's kick - Montenegro defender Miodrag Dzudovic - had sent an email to UEFA saying he believed the three-match was too severe.
"Obviously, it's devastating for me but it's something that's my own fault, so I can't really complain," Rooney said.
"It was stupid by me - I regretted it as soon as I did it. It's no excuse, but I still feel the punishment is a bit harsh. I'm disappointed with it.
"All the details we have been waiting on have come through, so we'll be making a decision as to whether we will be appealing.
"Even if it's reduced by one game, it will be a bonus for me."
Rooney admitted he was at a loss to explain why he kicked Dzudovic.
"I honestly don't know why. It was just one of those moments which I live to regret now," he said.
"There was no tackle beforehand, and I didn't think 'I'm going to beat him.' It just happened. I can't explain it."