Soccer

Redknapp 'relief' at Eng snub

2012-09-15 14:05
Harry Redknapp (AFP)

London - Former Tottenham Hotspur coach Harry Redknapp says that being overlooked for the England manager's job came as something of a relief.

Redknapp, 65, appeared to be the people's favourite to take over from Fabio Capello when the Italian resigned over the decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy after he was accused of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

But in the end the English Football Association handed the job - considered by many in the game as something of a poisoned chalice - to Roy Hodgson, and Redknapp has revealed he was "quite relieved".

He told Saturday's Daily Mail: "I was enjoying my life at Tottenham and I did wonder how I would cope, if it happened, with what is part-time football. I do enjoy seeing footballers every day, being on the training ground.

"I was driving when I heard on the radio that Roy had got the job. It happened out of the blue. But I didn't lose any sleep over it that night.

"I was almost quite relieved in a way - that I hadn't been given a decision to make. The decision had been taken away from me."

Although the FA have insisted Hodgson was always their first choice, Redknapp hinted that contractual problems with his then club Tottenham may have played a part in him being overlooked.

He said: "When I look back, I think it was always going to be a problem for me.

"I mean, I have to be careful what I say here, but I had a contract that was very heavily loaded, that anyone who wanted to take me, we're talking massive money in compensation."

Redknapp parted company with Tottenham in June after falling out with chairman Daniel Levy, despite having led the club to fourth place in the Premier League and been cleared of charges of tax evasion.

Last week, Redknapp made a surprise return to the game after accepting an advisory role at League One (third-tier) club Bournemouth, where he began his long managerial career in 1983.

Read more on:    harry redknapp  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Aces go down to Dikwena

2014-08-20 22:32

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Will Shakes Mashaba ensure Bafana Bafana qualify for AFCON 2015?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.