R100m budget cut for SAFA

2012-09-30 16:54
Robin Petersen (Gallo Images)
Johannesburg - The tough times faced by the SA Football Association (SAFA were made evident on Saturday at its annual general meeting (AGM).

The football governing body was forced to make an annual budget cut in excess of R100m.

At the meeting in Sandton, SAFA chief executive Robin Petersen presented a budget of R273m, which was adopted, as compared to the R380m the organisation splashed in the past financial year.

This expenditure saw SAFA report a R56m loss in the current financial year.

Petersen said there was room for an additional R60m to be raised in innovative ways that will be presented to the business sector on November 16.

SAFA suffered a knock recently when their main funders, SABMiller and Absa, which had bankrolled them with R100m each per year, came in with a reduced R20m each per year.

The organisation is also still sitting with buses and scanners that were used during the 2010 FIFA World Cup, assets they have failed to sell and make money from, and that have depreciated over the past two years.

Most proceedings in Saturday’s final AGM before the elective conference next year took place in the absence of vice-president Irvin Khoza and the other Premier Soccer League (PSL) representatives Kaizer Motaung and Mato Madlala, who excused themselves after spending a few minutes in the meeting.

Petersen said Khoza and company had “apologised and asked to be excused as they had some urgent PSL business to
take care of”.

In some quarters, this might be read as a snub, as Khoza bolted out of the last elective conference in 2009 after a stalemate that saw him and Danny Jordaan eventually withdrawing their presidential candidatures.

The AGM was to discuss 19 points, which included amendments to the constitution as proposed by world football governing body Fifa as well as members.

However, Petersen said some of these issues were taking “too long and might have to be postponed to a future meeting”.

Petersen said he had presented the highlights and lowlights of the year in his activity report.

He had divided these into three categories: football, administration and finances.

His turnaround strategy, titled Technical Master Plan, has seven points that are aimed at “building a sustainable and effective organisation”.

Petersen said the possibility of staff losing jobs was still a reality in SAFA’s bid to stabilise its finances.

Another challenge facing Safa is the hosting of the 2013 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) in January.

So far, the organisation has been funding the administration of the tournament’s organising structure, which is registered as a wholly owned Section 21 company.

While SAFA vice-president Chief Mwelo Nonkonyana, who chairs the Afcon local organising committee (LOC); and the committee’s chief executive, Mvuzo Mbebe, attended the AGM, they were not accommodated on the agenda to give a status report.

The LOC issued a statement yesterday saying that close to 6 000 tickets had been sold in two days since ticket sales opened.

This comes after an outcry that followed the launch, where soccer fans said they found that several managers at Spar outlets did not even know what they were talking about when they enquired about tickets.

Others said they had been told they would be called back by call-centre attendants, promises that were not kept.

While many thought the tickets were available at every Spar outlet, the tickets were only available at 185 Super Spar outlets on September 26, the opening day.

The AFCON tournament kicks off on January 19.

Read more on:    safa  |  robin petersen  |  soccer


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.